Visual Aesthetics + Effects Ideas


The show I am creating is a Soap opera, essentially based around the lives of a selection of college students/young adults. The target audience is 18-28 year olds, however the show may appeal to those with a 2 year age gap from the target audience initial range, either end of the spectrum.

With this in mind I have had to consider what shows that audience would enjoy as well as look into certain visuals they would find appealing, in order to draw inspiration from them and create something as visually stimulating.

First...

I looked back to my treatment sheet and I checked the psychographics, which I had described as: 


Mainly strugglers whom will want to be aspirers and may fake some aspects of their lives to appear as so, by having trendy clothes and a seemingly put together life on social media. However, in reality they would experience life as strugglers, for example by buying alcohol, eating junk food/takeaway and complaining about costs. 


However, they would also try to glamorise their struggler lifestyles as well, such as the heavy drinking and they would also go to many outrageous parties, recording almost everything in attempt to seem cool and give off the 'IDGAF' aura. 

To add on: I would also say that this type of audience may also live a regular life of habit being; wake up, school/work, socialize, sleep. Therefore, they may enjoy sudden bursts of excitement and drama, especially when they are at that younger age where they are told to enjoy their lives and live it to the max.

Secondly...


I have looked back at the shows I have taken inspiration from.

- Coronation Street
- Gossip Girl (specifically this scene where she confesses she killed someone).
- Skins:
Which also happens to be one of my favourite shows and in terms of storyline and filming aesthetic, massively contributes to my own shots. They have a very gritty and grungy colour palette and they went for an alternative style theme, with many characters wearing darker clothes. This resembled a popular style of the era.

My show however is modern and I feel a good representation of young adults, particularly my audience, comes from music videos.

Into the main ideas...

Mura Masa is a brilliant DJ and producer who creates really aesthetically pleasing music videos which fit the whole genre of the modern young adults, millennials. His music videos showcase realistic and dull sides of growing up in the UK but he makes them also seem so fun by creating small storylines based around friends or couples and he'll include really nice shoots and instead of me rambling so much ill show you some of the cool shots he uses.





Types of editing...

- Blue-ish/green/grey hue: to create a sombre, more dramatic view.
- More vibrant background with cool tones: to not distract too much from the show but still look bring something to the scene, i.e brick walls.
- Slow pace, until beat kicks in, in terms of my show I will swap this around so that the soundtrack will get heavier and more exciting once there's more drama in the show.
- Certain scenes appear to be highly saturated, which helps add colour when everyone is wearing dark colours because it makes their skin or just objects around them pop.
- I also have a flashback scene near the end of my show which I will probably use a vignette effect for in white to separate from the other scenes and make it seem dreamlike almost. Although, from the scene it reveals a dark truth so I would probably have to use a grunge-ish hue to contrast and set the right tone.


Comments