Magazine Masthead Ideas


From observing other front covers of lifestyle magazines I have noticed that the popular magazines appear to use either of two font styles for their title.

One being a 'Times New Roman' type, where they're bold but also have the thin lines which jut out and somehow make it look elegant and vintage. Magazines such as Harpers Bazaar, Elle and Time use it.

There's also the 'Helvetica' type which is also bold and often quite boxy and has this minimalist sense to it. Magazines such as Cosmopolitan, Glamour and Company use this font.

I've noticed that the Helvetica font is quite popular amongst teenagers, as I have seen it used on Tumblr, Pinterest and Instagram. If anything I think this font has an element of fun and girly'ness' to it, especially when certain colours such as pink, yellow or blue are used. 

I also know that teen vogue use two fonts, both which are similar to the ones I have just talked about.




I understand that this title is to pay homage to the official vogue magazine. By using the same font it's a form of convergence. The bold red "teen" then amplifies its uniqueness and shows that it's a different brand with a different audience/purpose.



In terms of title, I was thinking of giving my magazine a French title as many others magazines have Eurocentric titles such as Vogue and Elle. Elle means beauty and many other magazines have titles relating to Fashion and beauty. So with combining my ideas I have come up with: Jolin Laide

The name is French for 'beautiful ugly' which I feel would be a good reflection of what I want my magazine to be about. As a lifestyle magazine, it would cover aspects such as make up and fashion, which would be the visually appealing and 'beautiful' side of it. It would also talk of important societal topics and issues which would represent the 'ugly' part of it. However, each point would be presented with a tone of hope and positivity thus keeping it 'beautiful' still.


Comments