Further Cover Analysis

This blog post is basically to help me come up with copy to write along the sides of my magazine. 

I have basically put the magazines which are similar to my own and target an audience similar to mine on this blog post, that way I am able to look at them in one spot and don't need to have 10 tabs open. From looking at these I am then going to create my own.


 





Before I started writing out some ideas I had to consider what my audience would want to read.

I have previously described the psychographics of the audience as,


Mainly strugglers whom will want to be aspirers and may fake some aspects of their lives to appear as so, by having trendy clothes and a seemingly put together life on social media. 
 My audience target age range is also roughly 17-28 year olds with roughly two years either end lee-way.


From growing up in the era of technology and from being strugglers with high aspirations, they would most likely also be liberals as well as socially, economically and environmentally aware. This therefore leads me to believe that they would want to read a lifestyle magazine that will be up to date on current fashionable trends, but they also want to feel knowledgeable about the world so they would like to know some environmental or social issues. 

Another point to keep in mind is that with writing social issues is that things shouldn't be too upsetting for people to feel helpless and not want to read but rather be phrased as empowering and make the reader feel motivated.

The Uses and Gratification Model tells us that audiences view text because of these reasons:
  • Diversion - Escapism from everyday life conundrum's
  • Personal Relationships - Fill a void or to build relationships and be part of a social group
  • Personal Identity - Like Gauntlett's pick and mix: to build our personalities and learn about ourselves 
  • Surveillance - To find out about events around us


After some thinking I wanted to add something to do with the environment because millennials seem to be more thoughtful in terms of the world and global warming. And from talking with some art/textiles teachers I have learnt that sustainability is something which brands take very seriously and magazines should therefore promote how to live a more eco-friendly lifestyle.

Copy: "save the world one dress at a time" "why online shopping is good for the environment and your pockets"

Inspired by teenvougue's Willow Smith issue I also included a copy about "real talk". Millennials are one for gossip, advice videos and are open to more outspoken topics, therefore I thought that they may like this section. 

Copy: "Real Talk" "Relationships, Heartbreak, Self-Care"

I had also changed the copy at the top which made the connection to the show because I felt that previously it wasn't realistic as lifestyle magazines don't outright promote a production but rather interview cast who then make the connection. So I have at least given a general topic of discussion but I have then mentioned the show as well as incorporated the cast members.

Copy: "How millennials are changing Tv" "There's a new era of Tevelvision prodructions.'Drummer street' cast: Rebecca Adis & Thisath Ranawaka Takelead And explain The new rules."

The magazines strapline is also significant to millennials and the bright colours and the direct address would be sure to capture their attention.

Copy: "Millennials Speak Up & Show Off" It was previously show out because I thought that it was edgyier but show off just makes more sense.

Comments