Initial Response to Brief



The brief states that for the coursework we are to create:
| A cross-media production for a new television programme in a factual or fictional genre(or sub-genre/hybrid) of your choice.
My initial response was one of glee and relief as the project is quite open and we don't necessarily have to focus on a specific genre which we may not even like. Then again, when receiving quite an open task I feel like that's when a lot of questions and problems may arise because you don't have a fixed to do or what-to-include-list, you technically have to think of most of it yourself, with the help of a lot of research of course.


Off the bat, my first instincts were to create:


1)  A teen/young adult drama similar to shows such as 'Skins' and 'The Misfits' but without any elements of the supernatural where there is a group of teens whom are on there journey through to adulthood but as they reach certain milestones they struggle to find their way and don't always make the right choices. 

This seems quite do-able as I would easily be able to find a cast from my friends list and in terms of filming I could potentially film in classrooms or a just regular teen hangouts such as a skate park which is quite close to where I live therefore it would be most accessible.

My concern with this idea however, is whether or not it matches the type of programmes which would be shown on either itv or channel 5 but i'll do some tv listing research soon to confirm my beliefs or not.

2)  A soap opera/ drama similar to shows such as 'Coronation Street' , 'EastEnders' and 'Emmerdale'. The show would follow different people around who all have different challenges going on in their lives but most of them all seem to be linked together through one specific major disruption within their town.


The production for this seems less possible in terms of the narrative. As I have the limitation of  creating something within the length of 2 minuets 30 seconds - 3 minuets, I feel as though it would be quite a challenge to show off different characters and how they link with the disruption within that time frame.

However, I do feel as though that this type of show may interest the target audience - which are 'millennials' from the ages of 18-35 and I also know that the show would resemble that which is being shown already on itv.

In terms of filming, I feel as though this idea may require more scenes to be filmed from different locations but I also feel that in terms of location they could simply be within peoples houses in rooms (possibly their bedrooms) which may represent the characters traits with the different props giving an indication.


Either way I am very excited and still have a lot of research to do so these ideas may develop overtime or change completely but I will make sure to keep you guys updated.


Feel free to comment down below what you think of my ideas :)


- Tawana







Comments

  1. Good Tawana, some interesting ideas already. Maybe your first idea would be more suitable to ITV2? As you say, a look at the schedules will give you some ideas

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment